Skip to main content

#6724 LinkFace

The job hunt is not fun for anyone. You tweak your resume to look hoity toity - synonyming every verb to give maximum punch. You drop your current friendships into the sacrificial volcano of 'business contacts' - and feel like you're doing dirty murder in the process. You spend hours perusing job listings and writing and re-writing cover letters and that ol resume, to look like you are the guy reincarnate who just left the job.

The employer side isn't much better. You try and imagine the requirements of this ideal future candidate. You wait on HR to screen the butt-load that come in. You go over the shortlist trying to find that one person who isn't going to be a pain in your side for years to come. You interview and try to size up someone based on 15 minutes, extrapolating interview skills to fork-lift driving skills (or whatever it is). And maybe you feel like a horrible person smashing each candidate's orb of hopes and dreams with your baseball bat of reality.

It takes forever and is rarely any fun. And despite all these prerequisites, how often does the right person get the right job? Only about some-that-I-should-look-up% of the time.

What you really want to do is steal that one girl from the neighboring department. Everyone likes her. And she's good, you've seen her stuff. And she has a personality that you could really get along with, yea even enjoy. How awesome would it be to have her on the team.

Am I making broad assumptions here about the hiring process, the table of which I have only been on one side? Yes, yes I am. If you know otherwise, correct me.

The answer to this dilemma is surely multifaceted, but here is perhaps a solution to part of it.

So, my resume is a mess. I'm the guy who didn't have a "clear trajectory" in my development path. In fact, I always envied the people who knew in middle school exactly what they wanted to do (besides astronaut and mermaid). But alas, that wasn't me and I flip-flopped from engineer to artist, to filmmaker, to public healther. When employers and worse yet, people trying to help me out, see my resume they let out a big breath and say, "okay, hmm. Where should we start..."

And yet, I'm brilliant at what I do (don't laugh). No really. I think there are loads of people out there who are the types that employers want, but "don't look good on paper". But actually they would probably do pretty well in an interview with the right kind of open-minded employer. In fact, I'll take it a step further. I'll say the truly innovative, truly game-changing, truly interesting and creative employees don't have such a clear-cut resume. Sure, if you want a guy to be exactly like the guy that just retired, yes, use the traditional hiring means to get someone who matches that exactly. But if you want to stay cutting edge competitive, you have to hire in ways you haven't done before. (At least, for my sake, I hope these theories are true.)

Finally, jeez, am I going to get to my idea? Well, almost. Lastly, I hate LinkedIn and the like. I feel so cheap and salesy on those things. I feel like if I don't have a studioed head-shot I'll be put to the bottom of the list. And the regular emails that pep me up with "stand out from the pack" type phrases, do nothing for me. Probably because I know in my heart of hearts, my resume can't stand out, because I can't say "ivy league" or "supervisor" or "cum laude" on there without being a bald-faced liar.

So, how about a type of linked in for the "bad on paper" crowd? One where you can effectively "interview" each other and identify the strengths of each person. Could we rate each other? If I were hiring a programmer and I saw someone's ranking on stackoverflow I'd have a pretty good idea how useful they are (and how much time they answer people's questions for free.) Perhaps a bigger focus on ideas and outside-the-box stuff rather than touting inflated accomplishments. It would be the kind of place a brand-new start-up would find partners rather than an established company would fill functions.

And then could finding a job be . . . fun?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#7844 Electronic voting

Electronic voting. Yea, even internet voting. Really shouldn't be impossible. Tom Scott says this is a terrible idea, but I don't think it's so unsolvable. The ways to cheat are: - stuffing the ballot box with bogus votes - counting or recording the votes bogusly - voting more than once or voting for someone else Voter confidentiality must be preserved.  Here's my solution.  - every voter must authenticate with some non-government system that 1) ensures user ID uniqueness 2) contains a method for contacting the voter (can be a form obscuring contact details) 3) creates a random code which is not retained by the system. This is easily done by Google, Facebook, or any tiny NGO. They would need to register and be subject to audit. - when a user votes, the data is logged in two public registers. 1) a voters register showing the person's user ID (or a unique variant from the authenticator) 2) a vote register showing the random code and how they voted

#7483 Broadcast Café

This café is wired. There are cameras and microphones everywhere. What goes on inside is constantly broadcast in real-time on the café's website. There is a bold disclaimer on the front door telling everyone who enters that their conversation and image will be viewable by anyone accessing the site. It is open from 6am to 2am the next morning to maximize global viewing time, without becoming too seedy. It is located in New York or LA or maybe both. Another option: At the same time, monitors in the cafe show analytics in real time of how many people are on the website and where they are located. Maybe it even shows how many people are watching each camera and listening to each microphone. Perhaps people on-line could post chats and be active participants as well. Would no one want to go to a café where their privacy is completely nil? Would no one want to sit at their computer and watch people living instead of doing it themselves? Or do people have an inner desire to be seen, especi

# Disinfectant coffee mug wipes

What do you do when you've finished your coffee in your personal cup which remains at your desk with a residue of drying coffee in the bottom? If you have a kitchenette in the break room there might be soap and a sponge for washing. If not, do you rinse it in the bathroom sink? Do you pour water into it, slosh it around and then dump it in a plant? Do you take it home and wash it? Or do you, eh, just pour some more java in the next morning crossing your fingers that nothing anthraxy got in there overnight? I propose a handy packet of coffee mug wipes. They clean and disinfect as well as with dish soap and water and don't leave any residual nasty taste.